Friday, August 20, 2010

How do i know that i am ready for therapy?

When i was 12 my parents went through a terrible divorce. My mom cheated on my dad and i now have a serious trust issue. I never got to cope with the divorce because both of my parents either discussed or attempted suicide, so i had to grow up very fast. I do not trust others and do not get along with my mother. My good friend is encouraging me to go into therapy, a much time has passed since all of this, but i am not quite sure if i want to open all of that up at once. How do i know if i can handle these feelings?How do i know that i am ready for therapy?
You will only feel what you can deal with. Therapy is like an onion, you take off one layer at a time at your pace. The therapist is there to listen; to be supportive; to help you go thru your story %26amp; help you discover ways to cope with what happened in your life.





It will probably take a bit of time for you to trust the therapist too.


It's anxiety provoking to start therapy...so just start...you'll get thru it.





My best to you.How do i know that i am ready for therapy?
what you do is take it slow. they will start from the beginning and work their way up. you cant just deal with things all at once, its best to deal with one at a time, that is usually what they do. i think anytime is a good time to talk to a professional . good luck
I think therapy is the only way to put it away and have a chance at a normal life.You may end up in failing relationships as you will have a major trust issue.Take your friends advice.That's what therapists are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment