Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you cope with your parent's divorce?

My mom just told me that she and my dad are getting a divorce. I was pretty blown away by it at first, then I started to get really sad and broke down in front of my husband and his friend. I'm 22 and have been married myself for 2 years so I'm surprised that I'm handling this like a kid.





My parents have been married for over 23 years and its just too much of a shock for me despite the fact that I can understand the reason. They're divorcing because my dad is an alcoholic who could get very mean at the slightest provocation. My mom said she had enough after he blew up because my younger sister got a minor speeding ticket. He got so mad that he picked up a dining room chair and smashed it on the floor. Basically if my dad was mad at someone at work he would take it out on my mom, sister or me.





I was always afraid of my dad growing up so I don't understand why I'm so sad about this. Any advice?How do you cope with your parent's divorce?
I'm going through a similar situation, only I'm 16, not 22. You're feeling this way because they are still your parents, and you would still want them to be together and happy. You realize now that they won't be happy and be together. Though take solace in the fact that they can be happy and apart, and most likely will. Though my parents' reasons for divorce are different than yours, I identify with the feeling that I shouldn't be so torn up about it, but no matter what age you are, I'm sure everyone would want their parents happy and together. Also, they were married for 23 years. Its just been something so ordinary, a given in your childhood, that this is breaking down memories of your past through something that you didn't think would happen.





I hope you feel better.


-vicHow do you cope with your parent's divorce?
well it depends on how the marrige was b4 the divorce.


if it was horrible and painful then u no u had to do it, but if u think u cud have fixed it then i wud b sad. lol


but mayb i am wrong i mean i have never even been married but my parents got divoreced.


XD
Maybe it is time you think about your husband and do some extra work of any kind do things that make him feel good and it will take your mind off of it. next thing you know it will not even bother you. SEX also is good for what makes you sad do what you want to do.
I say just be friends and love both of them, it happened to me aswell. Both will probably point fingers and may want you to take sides, but as long as your are there for them both it's alright.
Give them a break,


at your age


this is not a big deal.


They still and always will, love you.


Treat each the same as usual and do not get involved


with back-biting.
ok u r grown. u will be ok,try not to worry bout how u will cope,be there for ur parents.u will still see both.
gawd im right here with you my dad is also an alcholholic


good luck


atleast your mom wont have to be scared any more
only thing that heals pain is Time
You should think of happy times, maybe, but otherwise i got nothing.
you have to find a new way to estabosh relationships with them and really they might be happier
Because it's still your world crashing violently down around your heart. He's still your daddy, and you want your mommy and daddy to always be that way.





Mine divorced when I was two, it fu(ked me up pretty good. It still does.





My best friends are divorcing, and I'm left wondering whether I could ever even get married, or if I could have kids. This is coming from a cat that once wanted nothing more than marriage and kids, lots of kids (since I was a young boy and up until i was 25, I'm 26 now)





It's a fu(ked up world. That's all I know.





As to advice, get out there and do something for someone else, or vlounteer as a big sister, nothing like helping someone else to make pain melt.
My parents also divorced when I was about your age and it was for the same reason too! I believe he was very unhappy with everything and often times he blames us with his unhappiness. It will be hard at first..you're luckier because your parents are getting a divorced. My no-good-father left us, he went back to our country and had an affair with a girl 30 years younger than him (I have 2 step brothers now)! She was younger than my brother who's the youngest of us four! What helped me go through this was my husband, he was very understanding and held my hand the whole time. Also, I know how unhappy my parents were and separating like that was not easy BUT it was the best for them both. The constant fighting, screaming and bickering stopped. After a few months my mother was like a different woman, she blossomed, she was laughing more and calm.





I wish you all the best, just remember what it was before the divorce and you'll see the difference after. Now, my parents are friends after so many years (maybe about 12 or 13?), they finally start talking to each other and would send text messages and emails! Nothing romantic just friendly.
I went through something very close to that myself. my dad still is an alcoholic and was prone to extreme violence afterwards. They were together 25 yrs and I was 24 at the time. I've never really ';broke down'; because of it though. It is normal to feel a sense of loss at times like this. But try to think of how much better your mom's life will be cecause of this. No more confrontation, no more abuse. I havent spoken to my dad in nearly 7 years because of all of this--which I am not advising you to do. But if it is for the better, try to remember that.
just stop worrying , i mean don't hate your dad and stuff because that's bad and hes your dad and blah blah blah blah but i maybe you guys can have a better relationship and stuff and who cares if your parents get divorced it happens all the time (mine did when i was like 8 im14 now and im kinda happy they did) well your parents need some time apart and maybe latter they can talk tout and become friends again but if not who cares . I hope i didntsound mean i just dont feel like rereading and fixing it (yeah I'm a tad lazy but i just got fnishedmy 15 page story) so i hope everything works out
There are many reasons you feel sad about it. My parents also divorced when I was older. I had always wished they would separate when I was younger b/c I was scared to death of my father. But, when I got older %26amp; developed my own life, and then they wanted to divorce, I felt a sense of responsibility to take care of my Mom and it's just not where I thought I would end up. I left my life behind, moved back home, protected her (all of us living in the house) until it was final and then took her with me to carry on with our lives. I didn't really want that responsibility. I'm engaged now %26amp; she lives with us. I'm not complaining because she's a wonderful person, but I definitely wasn't prepared for that %26amp; I was very resentful for a while that my life had to be affected because she couldn't have made a better decision sooner.
  • stars myspace
  • mortgage refinance
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment