Friday, August 20, 2010

Help with my parents divorce.?

Hi. When I was 2 my parents got a divorce. Growing up,it kinda embarrased me. I went to a Christian school so none of the other kids parents had ever gotten a divorce. My mom remarried when I was about 6. My mom and Stepdad had another child. I had to explain to everyone that we were brothers and why we had different last names. Some people thought I was adopted because I had a different last name than my mother. Even though im in college I still get kinda embarrased when I have to explain everything to people. What advice do you guys have for me to cope with my parents divorce and how to not get embarrassed about it.Help with my parents divorce.?
First of all you don't have to explain yourself... You owe anybody any answers... That is personal... I came from a divorce family too so I can relate... Hey! You have nothing to be a shame of and/or embarrassed about... people make mistake and you were not the mistake, you were one of the blessings that came out of the marriage... It's not your fault either... It just happens... I have half brothers and sisters too... and my parents were divorced when I was about your age... You should count your blessing that your step-father has excepted you and help raised you too... You were put on this earth for a reason and it's your job to find out the reason... That is what you should be spending all your energy on... Not what other people think... When they ask smile and say I can from a great family just like everyone else in this world and THANK GOD nothing is perfect in this life, and I'm glad that GOD is the only JUDGE on this plant... It is what it is... I have a half brother who I love period...Help with my parents divorce.?
Know that you aren't the only one in this situation... the majority of marriages end in divorce. So trust me, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Whenever I ask someone about their family life, I EXPECT them to say their parents are divorced. I don't see it as a downfall and I certainly don't think any less of the person...
It's very common now a day's - simply say you come from a blended family................ I lived out the same situation minus the college. My step brother abused me in many ways - so in comparison,just having to explain it to people should be a breeze for you. Hope that helps.
I think people tend to get embarrassed about what they get embarrassed about and it is kind of hard to control. As you grow older and live on your own it will come up less and less since you won't be around your family as much.





A lot of people have step-parents. A lot of people have been divorced. Look at Ronald Reagan for example. I would try to steer clear of the suject and if it comes up answer as briefly as possible and move on to other subjects. Some people get step-parents later in life after a parent dies and the survivor remarries.





I'd focus on being successful in your career and learning about marriage and relationships from a Christian perspective so that when you marry your marriage is for life.





Also I would pray about it, that God would give you wisdom and help you deal with the situation as best as you can.
You do not have to explain everything to people when they ask why your last name is different, just say ';my mom remarried when I was very young,'; and leave it at that.


If they have any more questions about it tell them to MYOB. or to go ask your mom.





It really is not anything to be embarrased about. Too bad your step dad never adopted you or got your name changed when he married your mom. You could do it if you wanted to, but I am sure you think it is too late.
the embarrassment you have over your name is just one more reason why every one in Yahoo answers that is thanking of divorce, needs to thank about it because it dose affects the children there whole life.


as for needing to explaining about your brother if you love don't thank of him as your 1/2 brother just say his your Little bro
Just tell it like it is. You have the hang up about more than anybody else does.





Drop the religious guilt of it. People change and things happen.
Divorce is nothing to be embarrassed about. You should be glad that your parents knew what was best for them and didn't stay in a marriage just because of what other people might think. No one can ever understand how people feel unless they've walked in their shoes. Just be proud of your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment