Friday, August 20, 2010

How do I cope when my parents are getting a divorce?

Well, my mum says shes not happy with my dad and doesnt wan't to be with him anymore. My mum and dad are constantly arguing, I'm not a strong person, And maybe its for the best that my mum and dad get a divorce. Also, when my dads drunk, he turns horrible and says the wrong things at the wrong time. I understand where my mum is coming from, but I really dont want them to split up. My dad seems to think drink mends anything, So maybe he has a drink problem? I'm not sure. But all my sisters have moved out now and got their own lives to worry about, So I'm on my own with nobody to talk to. Everything in my life sucks at the moment. I don't know what to do for the best. I know my dad loves my mum, but she seems to think he doesn't love her. She even broke her wedding ring. (How I have no clue!)


What would you suggest? :( Btw, there isnt a counceler in my school.How do I cope when my parents are getting a divorce?
It sounds as though you are having a tough time. Divorce can sometimes be a messy process, especially if you find yourself stuck in the middle. Your parents are also feeling the stress and this is obviously having an impact on your own emotional wellbeing. It must be hard not having anyone to turn to for advice. The best course of action is to find someone to talk to about your feelings. If you feel uncomfortable talking to another family member or a friend, you can seek counselling from http://www.youthaccess.org.uk/. They will help you to deal with anything you may be feeling, whether it鈥檚 shock, sadness, anger, guilt, relief or insecurity.





It鈥檚 good that you鈥檝e recognised that both your parents are suffering. This is a difficult time for them, and as a result you鈥檝e probably found that the lines of communication have broken down. Although your parents may not be speaking to each other, keep your conversation free and open with them both. It鈥檚 important that your relationship with your parents doesn鈥檛 suffer. Try visiting





http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationshi鈥?/a> for advice on dealing with divorce.





It sounds as though it鈥檚 difficult for both you and your mum to deal with your dad鈥檚 drinking. Living with a drinker can be tough for a family, but there is support out there. Try looking at the following website as a start: http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/dri鈥?/a> It鈥檚 important that you don鈥檛 try and deal with this issue by yourself. There is also an association called The National Association of Children of Alcoholics which might have some useful information and contacts for you. The link is below:


http://www.nacoa.org.uk/





Whatever happens, it鈥檚 important to remember that you are not at fault. There is light at the end of the tunnel 鈥?things will eventually get better.How do I cope when my parents are getting a divorce?
You need to be supportive to them and your father needs to do something about his drinking problem. Many homes have been broken due to the drinking problems. This problem is your parents and not your even if it does effect your life.Can you talk to any of your siblings? Maybe a Aunt or grandparent or a best friend. You need support also. Let them work out this problem and try to not take sides. If your father went for help with his drinking problem it may start a healing for the marriage.
Your in a very difficult position, and it is like walking a tight rope. Just listen to them when they talk, but do not take sides. You really need someone to talk to, hopefully a friend or another family member. I understand your confusion, I also went through the same thing in my teens. Talk to one of your sisters and see if they will allow you to visit them and spend a few days without the stress of your mom and dads fighting. Good luck.
I suggest prayer; you could intercede for your parent's marriage. It is when there is no other helper and all other options have failed that people usually turn to God in prayer. This is wrong. Turning to God should be the only option when one has a problem. Try this if you can; and spice it up with 3 days of fasting. It should work. Your parents will not get a divorce.
Talk to your friends and talk to your mom and or dad. It sucks that they are splitting but why should they be together if they are really not happy. Seems as if your dad drinks too much. Is that why your mom wants to leave? Things happen for a reason. Its a learing experience for you. Get support from friends and other family members.
oh well...... Many people go through this


so your not the only person, think about it that way, And actually it might be better that way after all if you know what i mean if your dad moves out you would have two places to go to and then you can trick your parents easily! fun fun fun !
you should keep ur head high and tell urself they will be much happier it might even make them nice to each other.. my parents got divorced and now they are good friends and they are both seeing someone... and dnt worry as ur not alone and it might make the family stronger.. if u feel its gettin u down just remember they are happy.. hope it goes okay 4 u
my uncle and aunt are the same way!my parents are already divorced so i know how you feel
If you feel comfortable talking to your older siblings then I would still talk to them. Just because they have moved out doesn't mean that they do not care about you anymore. You never know they may need someone else's problems to focus on for a minute. Last night I watched an E True Hollywood story on the singer/songwriter PINK. She went through the same situation with her parents and wrote a songa bout it. It's called ';Family Portrait'; If you have never heard of it, listen to it. You might feel like you are going through this alone, but you aren't. Just trust that things will happen the way they are susposed to and TRY and stay strong. Everything happends for a reason. Good luck.
your not going to like what i have to say but here it goes. i was 15 when my mom and dad was going to get a divorce, i could not deal with it and with all the worrying i ended up in the hospital with a ulcer at 15, ok roll ahead a few yrs. they did not get a divorce at that time, but i have a ulcer, it kept me out of the military this i hated all my life because i always wanted to go in and make it my life job, will i got married a few times ended up in a divorce and then understood how my mom and dad felt yrs. back, well i was going through my 2nd. divorce and they told me again they were getting a divorce, i told them fine do what ever you want just don't put me in the middle, well guess what they did , and after all the worrying i realized one thing if one lives in one state and the other lives in another stat they will Still and always be my mom and dad, nor roll forward still a few more years, they got remarried to each other and are still married to this day, and now i have them living with me for they are getting older, so in the end it all works out, the main thing is don't make your self sick over it, its not you its them, you want to talk any more just write, and good luck, tat
it may seem like hell at the moment


ive been in the situation ur mom is in and you want whats best for the kids and for herself


the constant arguing is getting all of you down


your dad needs a good hard shock to get him out of the drinking habit as it sounds to me like the main problem


but in life you have to go through alot of **** to get to the good stuff


hang in there and talk to your siblings they have left but they care for you and will always be there for you
Sometimes when parents realize they can't live together it gets really rough. Sounds like your Dad is depressed and thinks drinking will help. It doesn't. The problems ae still there when he sobers up and likely he's made them worse.


Right now they're both miserable. If/when they separate, they both could find things much better.


Remember, this isn't your fault and although you get caught in the cross fire, it isn't your problem either. Try to find someone you can talk to. Do you have a favorite aunt/uncle, teacher, older sister, grandparent you can confide in? Everyone needs someone they can talk to. Hope you find someone soon.


Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment